Italy refuses US aircraft use of Sicily base for Middle East operations, source says

a fighter jet takes off at the Sigonella air base in Sicily, southern Italy on March 22, 2011
  • Daily Corriere della Sera reported ‘some US bombers’ had been due to ‌land at the ‌base in eastern ‌Sicily ⁠before heading to the Middle ⁠East

ROME: Italy ‌has denied permission for US military aircraft to land at the Sigonella air base in Sicily before flying to the Middle East, a source close to the matter said on Tuesday, confirming a newspaper report.

Daily Corriere della Sera reported “some US bombers” had been due to ‌land at the ‌base in eastern ‌Sicily ⁠before heading to the Middle ⁠East. It did not say when they had been due to land.

The source, who was not authorized to speak to media and declined to be ⁠identified, also did not specify ‌how many aircraft ‌were involved or when Rome declined ‌to give permission.

Corriere della ‌Sera added that permission was not granted as the US had not sought authorization and Italy’s military leadership was not ‌consulted, as required under treaties governing the use of US military ⁠installations ⁠in the country.

The Italian defense ministry had no immediate comment.

Center-left opposition parties have urged the government to block the US use of bases in Italy to avoid involvement in the conflict.

Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s right-wing government has said it would seek parliamentary authorization should any such requests be made.

BY: The Times Union